Snorkeling – Korcula Island
Korcula waters have a variety of marine life: fish, cuttlefish, octopuses, crabs, sea urchins, starfish .. all of them can be seen using your mask, snorkel, and fins.
Around the Island’s rocky coastline you’ll see different species of weed and seagrass, a variety of fish, crabs, urchins and the rest of this colourful and fascinating world that hides just beneath the sea surface.
The visibility of the waters around the island often get up to 20 meters in the summer months so by just floating face-down on the surface of the water (no deep dive) you can get into the underwater scenery directly from the beach (no boat needed)
If you are beginner snorkeler, I would recommend you to stay near the seashore, to avoid passing by sea traffic. However, if you decide to snorkel further away from the shore, make sure you have a surface marker buoy to keep you visible to boats passing nearer to the shore.
Snorkeling around Korcula can truly be a fun and relaxing way to spend early morning or afternoon in this silent and completely different world.
I do it almost every day (June to September, weather permitted).
Best snorkeling spots around Korcula Island:
The best areas to head to for some snorkeling on the Island are the bays on South coast of the island (Defora), Raznjic and the bays near Racisce on the Northside. Here is a list of my favourite locations:
- Korcula Archipelago Skoji – numerous shallow and bit deeper bays in the whole Archipelago that offer great snorkeling experience
- Raznjic – to see octopuses, crabs, sea urchins, starfish and more at this remote island’s location
- Lenga – rocks around Lenga are very near the surface of the water, making them superb for snorkeling
- Mandrac – the nearest good snorkeling spot to Korcula Town – a variety of fish species can be seen if you snorkel before high tourist season. (As this is very close to where I live, I snorkel here every day)
- Pavja Luka – a calm bay to snorkel or dive all year round, very good visibility
- Orlandusa – remote and solitary bay with very clean waters, good visibility
- Zitna bay – lovely colours of water and rich underwater life convenient to snorkel.
- Top snorkeling places in Croatia
Photo: A typical underwater landscape in the waters of Korcula island. The photo was taken in Mandrac, Korcula town.
My Snorkeling equipment:
This is snorkeling equipment that I have: diving mask, snorkel, fins. It is just basic snorkeling stuff I recently bought from Amazon (if you wish to get the same one you can get it here: Mares Vento Clear Silicone Mask & Purge Snorkel Set in Yellow + Free Mesh Bag). Unfortunately, I still do not own any underwater camera so no underwater photos yet (I hope to get some for next summer – update – I actually just ordered my first ever underwater camera and are expecting a parcel from the Amazon soon. So in the next few months there will be underwater photos and videos here!)
Video – underwater life around Korcula island:
Update: This is the first video that I made with my new underwater camera.
Happy snorkeling 🙂