Kula Zakerjan (Zakerjan tower), is also named Berim Tower. It stands on the north of Korcula Town (see map below) in the Zakerjan area. The tower was built between 1481 and 1483 under the rule of Giovanni Mocenigo who was the doge of Venice from 1478 to 1485.
The tower is shaped like a half-cylinder and has similar crenellation – the distinctive pattern that framed the top of the walls of this medieval tower. On the Northside of the tower, facing Peljesac Channel, there is a Venetian coat of arms of Governor Viaro and Doge Mocenigo. On the Southside, facing Korcula Town, above the arch, there is Tiepolo Coat of Arms. The tower was built by workshop of Marko Andrijic, the local stonemason. Nowadays, Zakrjan Tower houses the popular Massimo Bar that serves drinks on the top of the tower’s terrace.
Zakrejan Tower – located on the Northside of the medieval walls in the Zakerjan area (Setaliste Petra Kanavelica)
Above photo: Zakerjan Tower street scene from the 1900s