church

see Korculainfo Tag Archive

All articles tagged "church"


St. Catherine’s Church

St. Catherine's Church

St. Catherine’s Church, locally known as Crkva Svete Katarine, is located on a small side street, first turn right as you pass through the Old Town’s main entrance in Revelin tower. This Church got its current shape following reconstruction in the 16th century.  Sveta Katarina was originally built in 1422 by Kristo Vitinić. It is located …

Read more » St. Catherine’s Church

Churches in Korcula

Churches in Korcula

St Mark’s Cathedral Churches in Korcula Old Town St Michael’s Church (Crkva Svetog Mihovila) – This church is located opposite of the Town Hall, first ever mentioned in documents in 1408 and restored in 1615 when it actually got its Baroque appearance. Inside the church, there is a Renaissance pulpit …

Read more » Churches in Korcula

Church Saint Roch or Rocco (Kapela Sveti Rok)

Church Saint Roch or Rocco (Kapela Sveti Rok)

Church Saint Roch or Rocco (Kapela Sveti Rok) is situated next to the Cathedral on the mains Town’s square. The altar of St. Rok is located on the eastern wall of the Chapel. It is raised above a marble staircase, constructed of colourful marble in 1767. This is the largest altar in …

Read more » Church Saint Roch or Rocco (Kapela Sveti Rok)

St Eustachius’ Church (Crkva Svetog Staša – Sv. Eustahije)

St Eustachius' Church (Crkva Svetog Staša - Sv. Eustahije)

Saint Eustachius’ Church (Crkva Svetog Staša – Sv. Eustahije) is a lovely little church situated on the very top of the hill of the same name on the altitude of about 350 meters. To reach the church it takes about half an hour to 40 minutes walk from the main road passing by Postrana, Zrnovo.  …

Read more » St Eustachius’ Church (Crkva Svetog Staša – Sv. Eustahije)

St Elias (Eliah) Church – Veliki Hom, Pupnat

St Elias (Eliah) Church - Veliki Hom, Pupnat

Church of Sveti Ilija, named after St Elias (Eliah) the prophet is located on the altitude on 442 meters, at the top of Veliki Hom hill, just above Pupnat village. This small and compact church was erected in the 15th century and is used nowadays on St Eliah day only as …

Read more » St Elias (Eliah) Church – Veliki Hom, Pupnat

St Peter’s Church (Crkva Svetog Petra)

St Peter's Church (Crkva Svetog Petra)

St Peter’s Church (Crkva Svetog Petra) – This small Gothic church, dating from the 14th century, is one of the oldest in the Old Town. It’s located on the small square next to the Cathedral on the corner with Ulica Don Pavla Pose. The simple main facade is embellished with St Peter’s …

Read more » St Peter’s Church (Crkva Svetog Petra)

Church of Our Lady (Crkva Gospojina)

Church of Our Lady (Crkva Gospojina)

Church of Our Lady, locally known as Crkva Gospojina, is located just opposite of St Marks Cathedral in Korcula Old Town. Gospojina was built in 1483 celebrating the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary with original use as a chapel belonging to local noble families Gabrielis and Ismaelis. An altar was made back in …

Read more » Church of Our Lady (Crkva Gospojina)

St Antony’s Church (Crkva Svetog Antuna)

St Antony's Church (Crkva Svetog Antuna)

St Antony’s Church (Crkva Svetog Antuna) – located in Sveti Antun suburb,  just about 30 minutes walk from Korcula Old town on the way to Lumbarda. The church, dating from the 14th century is located on the top of the hill in the centre of the small paved square. Approached …

Read more » St Antony’s Church (Crkva Svetog Antuna)

St Justine Church (Crkva Svete Justine)

St Justine Church (Crkva Svete Justine)

St Justine Church (Crkva Svete Justine)  is located at small, hidden square Trg Svete Justine, up 10 to 15 steps from Plokata – Korcula downtown’s main square. This church of neo-classicism style was built in second half of the 19th century as unusual eight-sided building on the top of which …

Read more » St Justine Church (Crkva Svete Justine)

St Michael’s Church (Crkva Svetog Mihovila)

St Michael's Church (Crkva Svetog Mihovila)

St Michael’s Church (Crkva Svetog Mihovila) – located on Trg Antuna i Stjepana Radića on the corner with Ulica Kaporova and just across of the Municipal Hall is a church that is first ever mentioned in documents from 1408, later restored in 1615 when it actually got its Baroque appearance. Inside the church, …

Read more » St Michael’s Church (Crkva Svetog Mihovila)