Visiting Mljet from Korcula
The Island of Mljet is situated a couple of hours boat sail toward the east from Island Korcula in the direction of Elafiti islands Sipan, Lopud and Kolocep and further to Dubrovnik. It is a green and tranquil island of the Adriatic Coast for which a lot of people who visited it find it very seductive.
Over two-thirds of the island is covered by a dark green forest of pine wood and other Mediterranean vegetation. The rest of the island is dotted by fields, vineyards and small villages.
This is an island of forests and salt-water lakes, with one-third of the island protected by national-park status. Mljet is almost an untouched island where one can enjoy its sights, smells and sounds of untouched nature.
The most attractive area of the island is its western part which is protected national park where two salt-water lakes Veliko and Malo Jezero are located. In the middle of the bigger lake (Veliko Jezero) is a tiny island called Melita Island with a 12th-century Benedictine monastery.
<p “>This area of National Park is perfect for walking, swimming and cycling and enjoying simple tranquillity. Mljet National Park occupies the island’s western third and includes gentle coves and a pair of saltwater lakes.
- Getting from Mljet to Korcula is one of the frequently asked questions in our travel forum as well as in emails I receive daily. So, here are the all options now listed on this page; for local transport options check also buses on Mljet island info and schedules
- Korcula to Mljet Yacht Excursion + Day Trip from Korcula to Mljet
Below are latest entries:
- Day trip from Hvar to Korcula and Mljet National Park
- JNA Tunnels at Lumbarda and Vela Luka (and Mljet!)
- Ferry Split then Brac then Hvar then Korcula then Mljet and finally Dubrovnik
- Does anybody know bus timetable from Sobra to Pomena?
- Mljet National Park excursion tour from Korcula
Hotels on the Island:
- Atlas Hotel Odisej ★★★☆☆
“Hotel Odisej is located in picturesque harbor Pomena in the heart of the National Park, near Dubrovnik. This destination is ideal for nature lovers and recreation enthusiasts. Visitors can enjoy the clean blue sea and excellent food.” Prices from €64 – Number of rooms: 157 – Check Atlas Hotel Odisej, availability
- Apartments Pavlic ★★★☆☆
Only 50 metres from a beach, Apartments Pavlic is quietly set in the small village of Saplunara. Featuring free shuttle service to and from Sobra Ferry Port, it offers free parking and a furnished terrace overlooking the Adriatic Sea. Prices from €18 – Number of rooms: 4 – Check Apartments Pavlic, availability
There are a lot of legends connected with the island – one of them saying it was a holiday destination of Greek hero Ulysses (!)
Most people visit this tranquil island on day trips or excursions from either Korcula or Dubrovnik.
For camping enthusiasts check Camping on Mljet island + website about ferries in Croatia where you can find all ferry schedules of Croatian ferries, including Ferries to and from Mljet Island with all latest schedules and timetables.