Bishop’s Treasury of Korcula
Facade of Bishop’s Treasury of Korcula
Bishop’s Treasury Museum is located in Bishops Palace in an elegant two storey palace on Sveti Marko Square in Korcula Old Town. The museum is also called Abbey Treasury of St Mark (Opatska Riznica Svetog Marka). The ground floor covers parish office, library, archives and Kitchen exhibition hall. On the first floor, there are exhibits of Treasury hall, while the top floor covers residence of the parish priest.
The museum exhibits numerous works of art including some paintings by Blaz Jurjev and Tiepolo. There are also old manuscripts with illuminated codex from the 12th century, alabaster sculptures from the 15th century as well as a statue of Mary Stuart from the 17th century. This is an interesting museum collection worth to visit if you are in Korcula. A list of its numerous exhibits is right below:
Collection in Bishop’s Treasury includes:
- Ante-Hall – a collection of small icons, including some precious objects and rarities made in metal, glass and ceramics.
- The hall of Dalmatian Art – a collection of various drawings from Renaissance and Baroque masters. Some old manuscripts and rare printed books including Korcula’s 12th-century Statute
- Reliquaries – are exhibited in small Bishop’s chapel from the 18th century, located in the bridge above the street Ulica Marka Andrijica.
- Hall of Italian Renaissance – various works by 15th and 16th century Italian artist. Several small sculptures and alabaster and marble relief. The numismatic collection includes cons from various periods and countries.
- Baroque Hall – displays the arms of Korcula’s bishops and abbots, hanging on the walls, bishop’s throne and various portraits of Korcula’s bishops and abbots.
- Hall of contemporary Croatian Art – display works of religious content by some Croatian painters and sculptors.
- Hall of liturgical vestments – displays fabrics and embroidery from 14th to the 20th century.
- Lapidary Collection – located in the oldest part of the former Bishop’s palace with stone fragments found during restoration.
- Kitchen – displays collection of household and kitchen utensils, rustic furniture, Roman dishes, clay dishes and small decorative objects made in metal, glass and china (see below)
Some Photos of Bishop’s Treasury Collections
Map of Bishop’s Treasury
Location of The Museum:
Locaiton Coordinates: 42.961427, 17.136120
- Korcula Town Museum
- Bishop’s Treasury
- Icon Museum
- House of Marco Polo
- Marco Polo Museum
- Museum Memorial Collection of Maksimilijan Vanka