Korcula Architecture :
|To Print: Select File/ Print from your Browser Menu.|
TOWN WALLS AND TOWERS - The whole of the old town is surrounded by 14th century thick stone walls and towers, used at the time as a defense against passing-by enemies .On the North end of the Old Town is tower called Barbarigo, built in 1488 as well as Tiepolo tower, built on the end of 15th century.On the South side of the Korcula Old Town is tower Balbi built in 1483 and Cappelo from 1493 . These towers were part of fortification of total of 12 towers by which Korcula was surrounded in the middle ages. At that time, Korcula's east and west harbor didn't exist so towers and walls were rising from the sea, which must be quite dramatic and un-welcoming for various passing-by pirates and enemy ships .There are two main entrances in the Old Town: South side entrance called Land Gate (Kopnena Vrata) from 1650's, that leads trough Revelin, a monumental tower of a quadrangular ground-plan (1493-1496) into the Old Town.The west side entrance called Sea Gate (Primorska Vrata) with entrance in the Old Town through a neo-Baroque stairway (1907) that leads from the harbour along the open loggia from 1584 ( currently used as local Tourist Office) to the town.
PALACES - Once in the Korcula Old Town, you immediately recognize the venetian architectural influence. The Old town, which huddles around the Cathedral of St Mark has various gothic,renaissance and baroque palaces which used to belong to Korcula old aristocrats Arneri, Kapor, Boschi, Ismaeli, Gabrielis, Kanavelic, Spanic, Kapor... Opposite of the Cathedral Sv.Marko is the Arneri palace, built in the ornate gothic style, with a nice renaissance/baroque cloister and gothic facade which faces western side street. This palace is currently being reconstructed into gallery space.Next to it is the Gabrielis palace, built in renaissance style from 16th century, currently (from 1957) used as Town Museum that displays various exhibits related to shipbuilding, seafaring and stone-masonry of Korcula, as well as an art gallery.On the small square Trg Antuna i Stjepana Radica there is a Municipal Hall where ground floor with arcades was built in 1525 while the first floor is added to it in 1866. In front of this building there is a pillar, erected in 1569.
THE CATHEDRAL Sveti Marko - This is probably most important building in the korcula Old Town. It is built in Gothic-Renaissance style, completed in 15th century at the place of other church from 13th century. Cathedral was built by local masters and craftsman of stone masonry, very well known in renaissance and baroque Dubrovnik and Venice. Most famous among them was stone mason Marko Andijic who completed cathedral's tower and cupola (1481) as well as elegant ciborium above main altar. Cathedral's facade is decorated with the truly beautiful fluted rose and various relief and statues, while main door - portal is framed by statues of Adam and Eve and figures of lions. Inside the Cathedral there are two Tintoreto's paintings.
BISHOP'S PALACE and TREASURY - Renaissance building from 17th century is positioned right next to Cathedral. It faces main square with large balcony on it's facade which is considered to be one of the longest balconies in the Mediterranean. It used to be Palace of Bishop of Korcula, as Korcula was the diocesan seat from 1300 to 1828. Inside the building, there is a Treasury collection of various exhibits from Korcula's history including polyptych by Blaz Jurjev Trogiranin from 1431.
CHURCH Sveti Mihovil - This church is located opposite of the Municipal Hall, first ever mentioned in documents in 1408 and restored in 1615 when it actually got it's Baroque appearance. Inside the church there is a Renaissance pulpit and the painting on the Baroque marble altar is a work by Domenico Maggiotto from 18th century. Next to the church, there is a stoned stairway which leads to the hall of local church brotherhood 'Mihovilci'
CHURCH Svi Sveti - Church of All Saints (Svi Sveti), from the beginning of the 15th century , which was later restored. It has the coffered ceiling painted by Tripo Kokolja around 1713. The polyptych of Our Lady the by Blaz Jurjev Trogiranin (1438-1439) is truly amazing piece of art by famous 15th century dalmatian author.The ciborium from 15th century below which is the carved Baroque Pieta is work by austrian sculptor George Raphael Donner from 18th century. The church is connected with a hall which houses the Gallery of Icons and a procession crucifix by Ivan Progonovic from 15th century.
CHURCH Sveti Petar - This small Gothic church, dating from 14th century, is located on the small square next to the Cathedral. On its facade there is a St Peter's relief made by Bonino from Milano. The tiny little square, adjacent to main Pijaceta square, is often used by local artist, musicians and poets for live performances.
OTHER IMPORTANT BUILDINGS OUTSIDE THE OLD TOWN:Church Sv. Justina is located at small, hidden square of Sveta Justina, right up the 10 to 15 steps from Plokata - Korcula's main square. This church of neo-classicism style was built in second half of the 19th century as unusual eight-sided building on the top of which there is a cupola and bell.
Monastery and Church Sv. Nikola is located on the very end of Put Svetog Nikole - a west -side sea promenade. Church is built as a two-nave church. The older nave was finished at around 1505 and reconstructed again in 1665. The right nave features the altar painting The Martyrdom of St. Peter the Martyr (old copy of Titian's painting), while the new nave houses the Baroque altar of St. Nicholas from 1629.
Badija – Church and Monastery - East of Korcula Old
Town there is a group of small islands called SKOJI, among which is Badija
- the location of franciscan church and monastery , built in 14th and 15th
century in Gothic and Renaissance style. The cloister itself is completed
in 1477. Badija is easy to reached by local taxi-boats.
Copyright © 2004-5 KorculaINFO.com - Travel Guide to Korcula - Croatia All Rights Reserved.