Tower Velika Kneževa Kula (Large Governor’s Tower)

Tower Velika Kneževa Kula (Large Governor’s Tower) is located on the South-West side of Korcula Town.

The tower, shaped as truncated cone was built in 1483. It has very massive feeling and locals nowadays call this tower “torjun”. There are various WW2 commemorative plaques around the tower. At the top of the crown , below the parapet , there is a rounded crown ring . On its north-western side, facing the harbour was a large plaque featuring Venetian lion and three coats of arms (the Dukes Balbi, Contarinia and Giorgio)  – see bottom photo from 1920s for its location. After World War II the coats of arms were removed and replaced by inscription in memory of ww2 liberation of the town .

Velika kneževa kula (Large Governor’s Tower) is placed in front of Mala kneževa kula (Large Governor’s Tower). This tower, as well as Small Governor’s Tower, were erected in 15th century to protect Governor’s Palace. It was built of large roughly shaped rectangular cubes .

The interior of the tower at the beginning of the 20th century was converted for storage of drinking water .

Photos of Large Governor’s Tower

velika-knezeva-kula1

Large Governor’s Tower

velika-knezeva-kula2

The crown of Large Governor’s Tower

velika-knezeva-kula3

Large Governor’s Tower – viewed from North

velika-knezeva-kula4

Large Governor’s Tower – commemorative plaques from ww2

velika-knezeva-kula5

Commemorative plaques (from ww2)

velika-knezeva-kula1900s

The Tower in 1920s with coat of arms and Winged Lion of St Mark still in place

Location of Large Governor’s Tower

map-large-governors-tower

Large Governor’s Tower (Velika Knezeva Kula) – located on the South-West side of the medieval walls

Read about other Korcula Towers