Places around the Korcula Island
There are eight main places-villages on the Island of Korcula. Start from the east (right on the map) + more places on Island of Korcula + my video channel of places on Korcula Island
- KORCULA TOWN – the main town on the island, with population of about 3000 inhabitants. With it’s numerous buildings and monuments, cafes, hotels, restaurants, galleries, cinema etc, Korcula is very popular for visitors as central location from which they explore the rest of the island. Korcula is an administrative centre of the area, where most of people from surrounding villages come to work at daytime..(more about Korcula Town)
- LUMBARDA – a little fisherman’s village 10 min bus ride from town of Korcula. Lumbarda is very well known for its finest vineyards and production of unique white wine called ‘GRK’. Lumbarda is very popular tourist spot as the only sandy beaches on Korcula – the beach of Vela Przina and Bilin Zal are situated in close vicinity (map). It’s a pretty place and nice location for lazy afternoons ice-creams and coffee in numerous small cafes. (More about Lumbarda) + Lumbarda Guide
- ZRNOVO – a five minutes bus ride from Korcula town, there is a village of Zrnovo well known for its old cypresses, terraced vineyards, stone houses, bell towers of Zrnovo, its churches and olive groves. There is a nice walk route from Korcula Old Town or Zrnovska Banja to Zrnovo too (20 min) – (Zrnovo map). Pretty bays on the southern side of the Island- Orlandusa, Rasohatica and Pavja Luka are on walking distance from Zrnovo (up to 40 min) – a nice choice for swimming in clear and clean waters. (More about Zrnovo) + Zrnovo home page
- RACISCE – a twenty minutes bus ride from Korcula town there is a fisherman and seaman village of Racisce, situated in the one of the northern Korcula bays. It is quite small place, with only about 500 inhabitants, mostly sailors and their families. The bays Vaja and Samograd, with its prehistoric cave, are both attractive for swimming and sunbathing. For more ambitious, there is a nice walk route from Racisce and Kneze to the village of Pupnat – read more about Racisce
- PUPNAT – the oldest settlement on the island dating back from Illyrian times. Well preserved village architecture is worth not to miss. Pupnat is probably best known for it’s bay of Pupnatska Luka -one of the most beautiful pebble beaches on the Island (map). In the summer, this beach is very busy so try to come and get a good spot as early as possible. (More about Pupnat )
- CARA – village about 20 min bus ride from Korcula town (25km) right in the middle of the Island. Cara is well known, together with Smokvica, for its famous white wine Posip which is cultivated here, as well as in Smokvica for long years. Nearby bay of Zavalatica and Zitna are good swimming locations where there are a couple of restaurants with a nice sea-view. (map) .. read more about Cara
- SMOKVICA – another village on the main road to Vela Luka, about 30 min bus ride from Korcula (30km)(map) Smokvica has a long tradition in wine production and is well known for it’s two white wines – Posip and Rukatac. Nearby bay of Brna (4 km away), one of the largest bays on the Island, as well as bay of Istruga, both situated on southern side, are the nearest sea-side places to swim.(More about Smokvica)
- BLATO is one of the largest places on the Island, 40 km away from Korcula town. It is industrial and agricultural town situated in the middle of the island. Well known for it’s olive oil production and sword dance Kumpanjija. Bays of Prigradica, Prizba and Grscica are in close vicinity and are good places to visit – where you can find some cafes to drink and restaurants to eat. (More about Blato) + (Blato Map)
- VELA LUKA – is situated on the very west end of the island of Korcula. It is large tourist, agricultural and industrial town situated in the large bay ( large =vela, bay = luka) hence the name (map) Well known for its sardine factory and olive oil. Good places around to visit are Tri Porti bays and islands of Proizd and Osjak – a popular day-visit spots. (More About Vela Luka) + more places on Island of Korcula
- VRNIK – tiny inhabited island in the Korcula archipelago, easy reached by taxi-boats from Korcula main harbour. It is well known for it’s deep stone quarries dating back from Roman times. Vrnik is worth to go and visit during the day as it has a lot of secluded small swimming spots where water is so blue and clear. This is one of favorite Sunday excursion destinations for local Korcula people. (map) (More about Islands Skoji and Vrnik…)
A-Z List of places around the Korcula Island
Babina – small bay on the north side of Korcula Island. Available accommodation in private apartments. Babina – location on the map
Bacva – small bay on the south side of Island Korcula – near village Pupnat – some apartments available. Bacva location on the map
Bilin zal – nice little sandy beach in Lumbarda very popular for locals and tourists alike – Bilin Zal – location on the map
Bisače – island in Korcula Archipelago – uninhabited Adriatic island – no available accommodations – Bisace location on the map
Blato – industrial place on the western part of Island Korcula -not very touristy. Blato location on the map
Blaca – small islet and streth of coast nr Blato
Bobovisca – small bay on the north- west coast – Bobovisca Location on the map
Borak – Korcula’s suburb
Brdo – hilly part of village Zrnovo – Good for walks and views over surrounding hills and other parts of Zrnovo village. Brdo Location on the map
Bristva – bay on the north – west coast – Bristva location on the map
Brna – larger bay on the south-west coast near Smokvica village – lot of available accommodations as well as some cafe’s and restaurants. Hotel Feral is the only hotel in Brna + Brna’s location on the map
Cvjetno naselje – hilly part of Korcula Town. Stunning views over Korcula Old Town and Peljesac Channel. Some good apartments available for renting – Cvetno Naselje position on the map
Čara – village in the central part of Korcula island, not as touristy as other parts. Čara position on the map.
Čavića Luka – tiny bay on southern side of the island , in vicinity of Cara
Dingac – small village on Peljesac
Domince – working class suburb of Korcula Town. Also, the main car ferry port (for cars arriving from Orebic and Drvenik)
Donje Blato – The field of Donje blato is situated on the eastern edge of the island of Korčula, between the town of Korčula and the village of Lumbarda.
Duba Peljeska – lovely bay on Peljesac
Forteca – This is the English tower Fort Wellington that was built in 1813 on the place of the Venetian fortification of the open type from 1616.
Gospa od Andjela – area around Our Lady of the Angels Monastery nr Orebic
Grubinjac – an area between Korcula town and Zrnovo, lovely views
Gubavac – an islet in the archipelago
Istruga – bay with unusual beach situated in the small bay on southern side of island of Korcula.
Kneza – small place on northern shores of Korcula Island
Kocje – interesting area of natural beauty and great views over Zrnovo village
Loviste – small fisherman place on Peljesac
Lumbarda – Lumbarda is small fishermen’s village of around 1200 inhabitants. It is situated at the eastern part of Island of Korcula, about 5 kilometers from Korcula Old Town.
Majsan – one of the Skoji Islands, Korcula Archipelago.
Mandrac – small jetty area in Sveti Nikola, Korcula. Romantic place to watch Korcula sunset.
Medvinjak – a bay in the near vicinity of Korcula Old Town. It got its name after seals ( morski medvjed = seal) that use to live in this bay long time ago
Mala Rasoha – small bay on nothern shores of Korcula island
Naselje (Staro and Novo Naselje) – Korcula Town suburb
Novi Puti – Korcula Town’s promenade offering lovely vista
Orebic – seaside town on Peljesac
Ošjak – small islet in vicinity of Vela Luka
Pavja luka – secluded bay on southern shore of the Island
Peljesac – peninsula across the water from Korcula.
Peljesac Channel –
Pjaceta – Korcula Old Town’s main square
Plokata – Korcula Town’s main square
Planjak – island in Korcula Archipelago – Skoji
Porto Pedoci – deep and secluded bay on the eastern side of Korcula Town.
Postrana – suburb of Zrnovo, village on Korcula.
Potirna – bay on southern shores of Korcula Island.
Prigradica – old urbanised bay on northern shores of Korcula Island.
Priscapac – tourist compex at Prizba .
Privala – bay on northern shores of Korcula Island.
Proizd – islet near Vela Luka.
Przina – popular sandy beach near Lumbarda.
Punta Jurana – aera in Korcula Town
Racisce – a village nested around deep bay that is carved on the Northern cost of Korcula Island facing Peljesac Peninsula.
Rampada – area in Korcula Old Town
Rasohatica – bay on southern shores of Korcula Island.
Ripna – bay on southern shores of Korcula Island.
Raznjic – the very top eastern) end of Island Korcula.
Rotonda – fresh fruit and vegetable market in Korcula town.
Samograd – a small and secluded bay near village of Racisce.
Skoji archipelago – lovely archipelago in vicinity of Korcula town
Smokvica – village on the island, famos for it’s wine Posip.
Soline – nice strech of coast between Korcula and Lumbarda. Overlooking Korcula Archipelago. Soline Link
Stiniva – bay on southern part of Island of Korcula.
Strećica – the very first bay western of Korcula Old Town.
Sutvara – small uninhabited island in Korcula Archipelago.
Sv. Anton – Korcula Town suburb, with lovely Sveti Antun Hill and church.
Sv. Ilija – Mountain at Peljesac Peninsula, accross the water from Island of Korcula
Sv. Nikola – popular promenade and small beach in Korcula Old Town.
Tatinja – beach and bay in Lumbarda.
Tri Porti – bay at southern side of Korcula Island.
Trstenica – popular beach in Orebic, Peljesac – just across the water from Korcula Town.
Vela Glavica – suburb of Lumbarda.
Vela Luka – one of the largest industrial places on Korcula Island.
Vela Przina – beach and bay in Lumbarda
Vela Rasoha – bay on northern shores of Korcula Island
Vela spilja – large Cave near Vela Luka.
Viganj – popular windsurfing spot on Peljesac Peninsula – across the waters from Korcula.
Vrbovica – bay next to Zrnovska Banja.
Zaglav – small peninsula @ Defora , Korcula island
Zagradac / Pejton – Korcula’s working class suburb.
Zakerjan – Korcula old town’s promenade
Zavalatica – Large and urbanised bay on the southern side of Korcula Island.
Žitna – bay on the southern side Korcula Island + Zitna Beach
Žrnovo – a village in the hills above Korcula Old Town>> Zrnovo home page
Žrnovska banja – a large bay further along the road from Korcula Old Town towards Racisce, passing by Strecica bay and Medvidnjak.
Žukova – bay near Vela Luka