Most people who travel to Korcula also visits Hvar Island as this is Korcula neighbouring Island and as good neighbours, I would like to add to this site some info about the island including how to reach it from Korcula, Mljet, Dubrovnik, Split and Vis.
These are all frequently asked questions on our travel forum as well as in emails I receive daily.
Getting to Hvar Island
To get to the island you have to take a ferry. There are four ferry ports to the Island: Hvar Town, Stari Grad, Jelsa and Sucuraj . All ferries arrive and depart from these places. There are ferries to Hvar from Split, Vis, Brac, Korcula, Mljet and Dubrovnik as well as from Ancona in Italy. Read my recent article about getting to Dubrovnik from Hvar + Location of island of Hvar (map) + Bus timetables for island of Hvar
Ferries to Hvar:
- Update: check an excellent new site about ferries in Croatia where you can find all ferry schedules of Croatian ferries, including exhaustive list of Ferries to Hvar Island with all latest schedules/timetables and prices + also check timetable for Ancona, Italy to Hvar (Stari grad) Ferries
Map of Hvar:
Buses on Hvar:
Good place to look for bus timetables and schedules, prices and info fro Hvar island is at www.travel-file.com/hvar-island-buses.htm
Accommodation on Hvar Island
Accommodation on the island could be difficult to find in the summer months so I would recommend to do your accommodation booking in advance unless you plan to visit the island out of season. Although most visitors to the Island stay in Hvar Town, there are also lot of accommodation available in neighbouring places – Vrboska, Jelsa, Stari grad…in these places accommodation is much cheaper then in the Town itself.
Some articles about the island:
- Catamaran Korcula – Hvar – Split changes in Off Season’s Sunday Schedule
- Departing from Korcula to Hvar in Early Morning – photos + Photo gallery of departure from Korcula to Hvar
- Ferry Catamaran line Korcula – Hvar – Split – the highest growth in ferry traffic in Croatia
- New Catamaran Passenger Ferry for Split-Hvar-Korcula ferry line
- New ship Krilo Express for daily passenger only service Korcula Hvar Split
- Hvar Beach Club in 20 hottest European beaches for 2010
- Jadrolinija’s Coastal Ferries that sails to Stari Grad will sail from June to October only
- Enjoy Hvar for its beaches, history and tiny fish restaurants
- Stari Grad Plain on the UNESCO World Heritage List
- How Hvar got hip – Observer’s article
- More travel news re Hvar
- Camping on Hvar Island