Churches in Korcula

korcula - church sveti mihovilChurch SVETI MIHOVIL - This church is located opposite of the Municipal Hall, first ever mentioned in documents in 1408 and restored in 1615 when it actually got it's Baroque appearance. Inside the church there is a Renaissance pulpit and the painting on the Baroque marble altar is a work by Domenico Maggiotto from 18th century... read more about church Sveti Mihovil

korcula - church svih svetihChurch SVIH SVETIH - Church of All Saints (Svi Sveti), from the beginning of the 15th century , which was later restored. It has the coffered ceiling painted by Tripo Kokolja around 1713. The polyptych of Our Lady the by Blaz Jurjev Trogiranin (1438-1439) is truly amazing piece of art by famous 15th century dalmatian author... read more about church Svih Svetih

korcula's church sveti petarChurch SVETI PETAR - This small Gothic church, dating from 14th century, is located on the small square next to the Cathedral. On its facade there is a St Peter's relief made by Bonino from Milano. The tiny little square, adjacent to main Pijaceta square, is often used by local artist, musicians and poets for live performances... read more about church Sveti Petar

korcula - church sveta justinaChurch SVETA JUSTINA - is located at small, hidden square of Sveta Justina, right up the 10 to 15 steps from Plokata - Korcula's main square. This church of neo-classicism style was built in second half of the 19th century as unusual eight-sided building on the top of which there is a cupola and bell.... read more about Sveta Justina church

Church Gospojina KorculaChurch GOSPOJINA : this church is located just off the main Korcula Old Town's square Pjaceta, on the western side of the square. Currently, it's interior serves as fine art gallery.On the western side of the square, there is Crkva Gospojina (Church of Our Lady) from 1483, the Renaissance work of the local builders, where the tombs of the historical Korcula families are situated as well as the tomb of the defender from Turkish assault, the priest Rozanovic. There are also beautifully decorated gravestones, and a big mosaic of the Dutch artist Louis Schrikkela on the altar, from 1964-67. There is a flag column on the square next to the Crkva Gospojina from 1515. From the Crkva Gospojina towards the north, there are palaces Arneri and Gabrielis. ... read more about Crkva Gospojina

Church Sveti NikolaMonastery and Church SVETI NIKOLA is located on the very end of Put Svetog Nikole - a west -side sea promenade. Church is built as a two-nave church. The older nave was finished at around 1505 and reconstructed again in 1665. The right nave features the altar painting The Martyrdom of St. Peter the Martyr (old copy of Titian's painting), while the new nave houses the Baroque altar of Sveti Nikola from 1629.... read more about Sveti Nikola

Sveti Anton Church in KOrculaChurch Sveti Antun : located at Glavica Sveton Antuna Hill, about 25 minutes pleasant walk from Korcula Old Town. Sv Antun (St Anthony) church is nice little chuch dedicated to St Anthony of Padua, a Catholic saint who was born in Lisbon to a wealthy family and who died in Padua, Italy. . .. more about Sveti Antun church

Badija Church and MonasteryBADIJA Church and Monastery : old Franciscan monastery, which was built in 1392 on the site of an earlier one, and it was enlarged in this century. Next to the church and the chapel of Saint Cross with its Baroque altar by Giorgio Masario (18th century) are the Gothic cloisters with arcades from 1475. There is a small dwelling house next to the monastery, and a shelter for monastery boats in its cellar.... read more about Badija Monastery

Church Kapela Sveti Rok : " The altar of St. Rok is located on the eastern wall of the Chapel. It is raised above a marble staircase, constructed of colourful marble in 1767. This is the largest altar in the Church. In its niches are three large wooden statues: St. Rok, Kuzma, and Damjan, while a bust of Our Lady of Health is on top of the altar. The statues came from the original wooden altar, which was built on the same location in 1575 by woodcarver Franjo Cucic from Blato on Korcula, who signed the statue of St. Rok. The figures are polychromatic and gold plated, and their motionless but lively faces with the distinctive facial features of the islanders stand out.
On the southern wall of the Chapel, next to the bell tower, is the small altar Gospice (Three Kings). Over the Baroque altar is a wooden, gold plated retable from the 17th century engraved in the style of mannerism. The painting from the 18th century is without much artistic significance, and a small icon of the Gift of the Kings with a silver frame from the 17th century is installed in the painting. This is the only remaining wooden altar in the Cathedral; in the past, there were several altars here, mainly wooden.
The large classical altar of Our Lady or Karmen from 1855 is on the northern wall. The altar has three paintings from the previous altar, works by Carl Ridolfi from Venice in 1642 (signed). The central painting depicts Our Lady of Karmen with St. Peter, while the side paintings depict St. Lawrence (Lovro) and St. Stephan.
On both sides of this altar, next to the wall, are leaning neo-Renaissance choir seats that were built in 1795 by Vicko Tironi from Brac. The high, hollow seatbacks were modelled after the numerous Dalmatian choir benches that arose in the Romanesque and Baroque periods." ( source www.htz.hr)

Church Sveta Katarina: This Church got its current shape following reconstruction in the 16th century. It is located on the street next to the southern town walls. It used to be owned by the Kapor family who had a large palace and garden nearby.

Church Kapela Gospe od Snijega: The Chapel is situated in the Renaissance cloister constructed at the beginning of the 16th century next to the City Council building. It was renovated during the first half of the 20th century, when large wrought iron doors were added to the Chapel. At the altar, there is a small painting of the Mother of God - an average piece celebrating the Madonna.

Church Chapel Crkva Navjestenja (Blagovijesti) : ( Annunciation Church) - Located in the northwest part of the Old Town, this small church dates from 16th century. The chapel belonged to the noble Dolfin family. Their family crest is visible on the exterior wall as well as crests of families Medin and Kanavelic.

Church Sveta Barbara: Small church located behind Hotel Korcula that is currently serving local Christian Orthodox community. This church was originally built as the Church of the Holy Trinity in the 15th century, and received its Baroque appearance in the 17th century. Its name was changed later to the Church of Sveta Barbara. At the beginning of the 20th century, it was sold to the Orthodox Church.

More Related Info

Korcula Old Town / Town Walls and Towers / Palaces / Cathedral Sveti Marko / Churches in Korcula / Other Interesting Buildings / History of Korcula / Architecture Korcula / Fraternities in Korcula / History of Croatia /